Sold27-29 Tom Jones Court, Narre Warren NorthUNDER CONTRACT4 2 2
Sold30 Jamieson Way, Berwick$740,000 - $780,0004 2 2
Sold7A Oatlands Road, Narre Warren North6 4 4
Sold203/88 Carlisle Street, St Kilda$450,000 - $490,0002 1 1
Sold13 Walker Way, BERWICK$450,000 - $475,000
Sold6 Tyalla Way, Pakenham3 2 2
The town of Berwick was originally part of the Cardinia Creek run. Subdivision started in 1854 and a store, post office, hotel and other businesses were established. Wheat, barley and potatoes were grown, with a flour mill operating for several years. Dairy farming and cheese making later became the main activities. The Berwick Agricultural Society, originally started in 1848 as the Mornington Farmers’ Society, is one of the oldest farmers’ societies in Victoria.
The area grew with the construction of a coach road between Melbourne and the Gippsland region, the Post Office opening on 18 September 1858.
A quarry opened in 1859 to supply ballast for the railway line along the same route, which opened in 1877, and a spur line was constructed to Berwick railway station to transport the metal. The site of the quarry is now occupied by Wilson Botanic Park. From 1861 until 1902, Berwick was also the headquarters of the Shire of Berwick, originally formed as the Berwick Roads Board.
Poplar trees lining the High Street and on into Beaconsfield were planted as an Avenue of Honour to commemorate the fallen in the First World War. Originally name plaques were supposed to have been mounted at the foot of each tree but this was never carried out, despite the plaques being produced.
Late in the 20th century Melbourne sprawled eastward to Berwick. The surrounding rural land was subdivided becoming a popular destination for first home buyers with the population exploding with new housing developments from the 1990s to the 2000s. Some of the character of the original township has remained. Source: Wikipedia