The township of Sunshine was earlier known as Braybrook Junction. The Braybrook Junction Post Office opened on 25 August 1890.
In 1904 H. V. McKay bought the Braybrook Implement Works. In 1906 McKay moved his agricultural machinery manufacturing business from Ballarat to Braybrook Junction. This established the Sunshine Harvester Works which became the largest manufacturing plant in Australia. McKay had also secured 400 acres (1.6 km2) of land at Braybrook Junction with the aim of establishing housing to encourage his workers to settle in the area.
In 1907 the locality was renamed Sunshine, after residents had petitioned to change the name in honour of the Sunshine Harvester Works. The name “Sunshine” is assumed to have been given by McKay to his harvester works after he attended a lecture by the American evangelist Reverend Thomas De Witt Talmage who visited Victoria in 1894.
Also in 1907 an industrial dispute between owner H. V. McKay and his workers at the Sunshine Harvester Works led to the Harvester Judgement, the benchmark industrial decision which led to the creation of a minimum living wage for Australian workers.
H. V. McKay’s concept for Sunshine, the Sunshine Estate, was for a community developed according to the ideals of the Garden city movement, an influential town planning movement of the early 20th century. Infrastructure and amenities established by McKay included electric lighting, parks and sporting grounds, public buildings, schools and a library and the town became regarded as a model industry-centred community. Housing for the Sunshine Harvester Works’ employees had swelled the local population and the town of Sunshine was touted as the “Birmingham of Australia”.
The Sunshine train disaster on 20 April 1908 killed 44 people at Sunshine station.
In 1909 H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works Pipe Band was formed. This is one of Australia’s oldest continuously functioning pipe bands and still exists as the Williamstown R.S.L. Pipe Band.
Sunshine was not immune when many Australian-based manufacturing industries started winding down during and after the 1970s. In 1992 the Massey Ferguson factory, formerly the Sunshine Harvester Works, was demolished to make way for the development of the Sunshine Marketplace.
- 5 Balmoral StreetContact Agent212
- 23 Benjamin StreetContact Agent311
- 38 George StreetContact Agent110
- 108 Westminster ParkwayContact Agent522
- 287B Glengala RoadContact Agent
- 60 Benjamin StreetSOLD $790,000311
- 83 Roseleigh BoulevardContact Agent322
- 16 & 18 Pratt StreetContact Agent
- 710/488 Swanston Street$260,000210
- 1/17 Gordon StreetContact Agent211
- 7 Rosenthal CrescentContact Agent310
- 618/1-11 Moreland StreetContact Agent322
- 3/517 Ballarat RoadContact Agent221
- 13 Sea Rush Street$1,350,000432
New3 Loretta Place$450.0 per week321 New2/20 Brisbane Street$430.0 per week321 New3/20 Brisbane Street$390.0 per week211
- 10 Queen Circuit$450.0 per week321
- 2B Derrimut Street$390.0 per week421
- 48A Cormorant Crescent$350.0 per week211
- 19 Kenross Court$385.0 per week313
- 1st Floor /292 Ballarat Road$330.0 per week311
- 1102/139 Queensberry Street$600.0 per week221
- 207 Essex Street$395.0 per week212
- 409/124-188 Ballarat Road$450.0 per week221
- 1111/594 St Kilda Road$410.0 per week111
- 710/488 Swanston Street$420.0 per week210
- 13 Hook Street$420.0 per week311
- 34a Indwe Street$530.0 per week231
- 10 Menzies Street$455.0 per week522
Sold4/517 Ballarat RoadFor Sale $460,000 -$490,000221 Sold28 Ardoyne StreetContact Agent211 Sold6 Eagle AvenueUnder Contract313 Sold38 Calverton Road$560,000 - $600,000312 Sold23 Hatfield Drive$576,000422 Sold4 Jessie Street$750,000210 Sold28 Donald Street$1,260,000311 Sold10A Mansfield Avenue$530,000310 Sold35 Callaway Boulevard$525,000322 Sold5 Wilton Green$813,000422 Sold3/112 William Street$425,000311 Sold3 Albanvale Drive$430,000211 Sold175 Buckley Street$805,000210 Sold40 Kenswick Drive$575,500422 Sold135 Glengala Road$600,000312 Sold36 Mernda Street$732,000212 Sold14 Viola Avenue$795,000424 Sold28/12-20 James Court$285,000 Sold14 Guinane Avenue$581,000432 Sold11 Hazelwood Court$530,000422 Sold1/103 Gordon Street$282,000111 Sold50 Hogan Street$538,000311